The university adopted and implemented the program “The organization of sports and fitness activities in the Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute", which aims to increase the involvement of students into sports and fitness activities, to improve the results of the university teams participating in national competitions and to increase the motivation of students taking part in such events.
Trainings in 14 sports are held once a week for students of the first, the second and the third year. Students choose a kind of sport and a teacher on their own which meets the Bologna process. Students with health issues are engaged in special sports activities due to the research-based methodologies in the special medical department of physical rehabilitation.
- Athletic gymnastics (track and field, weightlifting)
- Wrestling: freestyle wrestling, Greco-Roman wrestling, judo, taekwondo - http://www.taekwondo.ucoz.co.uk
- Table tennis
- Sports gymnastics
The curriculum also includes rowing, rugby, archery, football trainings conducted by instructors of the Department of Sports Perfection.
Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute students have the opportunity to attend sectional trainings on a variety of sports after classes at discounted prices thanks to student trade union committee.
Every year a sports festival of the Unoversity is held. It includes 18 sports: swimming, track and field, basketball, chess, volleyball, football, table tennis, shaping, arm wrestling, boxing, go game etc. International chess tournaments, attended by outstanding world-class grandmasters, are held in the KPI in conjunction with the federation of the go game - Cup of Ukraine in the go game as well as a football tournament between student teams of Ukraine and Poland, Cup of Football Rector among student organizations of the Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute and many other important large-scale events.
Tourist competition "Labyrinth" traditionally is held at the Kyiv Sea twice a year.
Sports clubs of KPI
A chess club and a club of the go game, scuba diving club "Atlantida", a travel club "Globus" and a club "Papai" have many members now.
- Rugby club «Polytechnic» (http://www.rugbypoliteh.com.ua)
- KPI Hang gliding club "Altair"
- Hang gliding club "Altair" of the Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute was founded over 30 years ago. During this time hundreds of students, alumni and professors of our university were the members the club. Today the club cooperates with the Faculty of aviation and space systems. Now there are 50 active pilots and cadets, and the number of people willing to learn to fly is constantly growing.
- Sports and Technical Diving Club KPI "Atlantis"
- KPI Sports Club of Aerobics and Fitness "Talisman"
- Club "Polytech-boxing"
- KPI Tourist Club "Globus"
- KPI Tourist Club "SKIF"