Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute introduces new Sikorsky Distance Learning Platform.
The Sikorsky platform is an open virtual learning environment of the university that provides administrators, teachers and students with extensive opportunities to create courses and technologies for distance learning.
The platform is based mainly on an open content management system Moodle (Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment) which has a wide range of functions not only for creating distance courses and technologies, but also for organizing convenient interaction between teachers and students.
The main dynamic elements of the platform are lectures, tests, assignments, a glossary and toolkit for interactive communication in the form of seminars, videoconferences, polls, forums, chats etc.
In addition to web resources contained in Moodle system, Sikorsky platform provides video courses that are accessible to anyone. Users can access the Moodle distance courses and video courses from the sites http://uiite.kpi.ua/ and https://do.ipo.kpi.ua/ around the clock.
The educational resources of the Sikorsky platform are divided into four groups.
1. Distance courses (all their elements) under which students are taught according to the curricula under the supervision of teachers (270 courses). These courses are accessible through each student's enrollment. There are 4 800 students enrolled today.
2. Distance courses with free access that are available to anyone who is enrolled without registration and without the possibility of testing (88 courses).
3. Distance courses that provide students with knowledge after registration. They have the opportunity to be tested and obtain certificates according to which the relevant disciplines will be count in Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (151 courses)
4. Video courses "Economy for all" are freely available(17 courses). Currently, 4 968 users are registered on the Sikorsky platform, of which 4 800 are students, 165 - teachers, 3 - distance learning administrators.
All teachers of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute can post their teaching materials ( lectures, assignments, tests, videos, etc) on the Sikorsky platform in two ways:
- those who have advanced training in the courses "Developing the distance courses using Moodle" and " Creating and using web resources for educational disciplines" (875 teachers of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute) can independently develop courses in Moodle and post them on the platform with a help of administrators.
- those who do not have practical skills in Moodle software can send their training materials in any electronic forms to administrators of the platform who convert these materials to the system.