Recently, the International Specialized Exhibition of Defense, Armament, Military and Specialty Equipment, Technologies and Dual-Use Arms and Security products was held in Ukraine, where Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute successfully presented its developments (see KP # 30). As part of the exhibition, a conference was also held on which the academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine Myhailo Ilchenko told about the achievements of our university. He described the Kyiv Polytechnic as a unique research and innovation association with great potential. The editorial board addressed to M.Yu. Ilchenko with a request to tell about innovative developments for the Defense Ministry of Ukraine.
- Myhailo Yuhymovych, according to what directions are the Kyiv Polytechnicians implementing defense / dual-purpose projects?
- Several of them: space and aviation, systems of special communication, cybersecurity and security technology, protection of equipment and personnel, the creation of small arms, equipment upgrades, impoort replacement. Developments are conducted on the state order and the order of private companies.
- Obviously, such serious orders are carried out jointly with other enterprises.
- Thus, the “Kyiv Polytechnic” Innovation and Production Association includes high-tech enterprises: PJSC “Elmiz”, OJSC “Meridian” named after S.P. Korolyov, State Enterprise Plant “Arsenal”, PJSC “NVO Kyiv Plant of Automation”, PJSC “Mayak”, State Enterprise “KD NII Hydroprylad”, SE «Kyivprylad”.
For example, new samples of small arms were created in cooperation with PJSC “Mayak”. Along with the “CD of research institutes of hydro devices”, hydroacoustic stations were developed for monitoring underwater objects. Special communication devices that are actually ready for implementation are being developed together with LLC “Elmiz”: the program of import substitution and the creation of a perimeter system of border guarding, as well as the development of a water purification system in small volumes, are implemented together with the Fund of Academician V.S. Myhalevych, thanks to the cooperation of the public and private sectors, composers have been created. Well armor to protect people and equipment. Body armor based on it is twice lighter and provide protection of sixth grade. There are other developments.
- Highly effective, robust development, which is discussed, should probably be noted at the state level?
- Work «Creation and use of unmanned aviation complexes of the mini class and the introduction of innovative technologies of their production”, performed by the team of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute, Military-Scientific Directorate of the Armed Forces General Staff of Ukraine, OJSC Meridian, LLC “Research and Production Enterprise” Atlon Avia” this year won a prize of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine for the development and implementation of innovative technologies.
- What is the purpose of the development?
- The work is devoted to the creation and industrial production of domestic first unmanned aviation complexes of the mini class, which, according to their purpose and technical characteristics, acknowledge the medium-term priority directions of innovation activity of the national level approved by the Government of Ukraine. The new model of synergetic interaction of specialists from education, science, business, high-tech production and consumers of innovative products is involved in the development of the work.
- The team of developers BPAC "Spectator" was formed by Decree of rector M.Z. Zgurovskyi in August 2014. The organizational and scientific management of the creation of the BPL was entrusted to you, Myhailo Yuhymovych. Was it difficult to interact with different research and production teams?
- According to the results of the start of the unmanned aircraft, an interdepartmental working group has been set up to carry out the design and production of the prototype. OJSC “Meridian” has completed the development for industrial replication (with the involvement of sponsors of the Fund for Scientific and Technological Developmen of Academician V.S. Myhalevych), with the support of the Military-Scientific Directorate of the Armed Forces General Staff of Ukraine, necessary tests were carried out. The difficulty was the need to ensure the simultaneous execution of a significant number (over 50) different (sometimes contradictory) requirements for the functional capabilities of the complexes, their operational, flight and technical characteristics.
The necessary amount of scientific research and development work was performed, modern innovative technologies of industrial production of complexes were developed, a number of evaluation, control and determining departmental tests were carried out in accordance with existing procedures. Positive results became the basis for making decisions on the order of purchase of air complexes “Spectator”, which at the state registration were called MP-1, where M - from “Meridian”, and P - from “Polytechnic”.
- That is, these products became useful both for military and civilian?
- More than 30 million UAH was received from industrial production and sales of more than 50 units of innovative products. The products have been transferred for use in the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the National Guard of Ukraine, the Security Service of Ukraine, the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine and in the civilian sphere.
– Are working with foreign partners?
- Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute carries out 6 projects (out of 38 that are implemented in Ukraine) within the framework of the NATO Science for Peace and Security program. At RTF, together with the McMaster University of Canada from Hamilton, they work on a microwave radar to protect personnel. Infrared transparent ceramic windows for high-speed aircraft are being investigated by the IFF together with the German Fraunhofer Institute of Ceramic Technology and Systems (IKTS). The ITS, together with the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, is implementing the project “Development of a system for detecting mines and explosive devices based on ultra-wideband wave technology”. The IASA, together with the Romanian Academy of Sciences (Yassy Branch) and the Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science of the Academy of Sciences of Moldova, are working on the project “Simulation and mitigation of disasters caused by catastrophes and terrorism”. At FPM, together with US researchers (US Army Research Laboratory) and Bulgaria (Institute of Defense), they carry out an operational analysis of cyber-threats for real-time situations. The PBF, together with scientists from Serbia, the Netherlands, Germany and Italy, will develop a three-dimensional optical system of a mirror-lens laser scanner in the framework of the project “Explosive Trace Exploration for Standex (EXTRAS)” project.
- What would you like to say at the end of the conversation?
- It would not be desirable to hear about the sad, but at present, the risk of destruction of scientific and engineering schools of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute and the loss of the possibility of realization of the state-requested experimental scientific and technical developments due to the threatening dynamics of loss of staff of the scientific staff of the Research Institute of the University is present. During the past three years, due to the very insufficient real budget financing, the number of staff members of the research fell from 477 to 257 people, and also problems with the effective use of available scientific potential (470 of the 2,245 teachers, 95 of the 311 doctors of sciences, 219 out of 1,300 candidates of science).
We can’t but mention the comment of the Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine L.M. Grynevych after the review of the annual report by Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute for research and innovation: “What we have heard is only a delight. At the same time, we have a dramatic insufficiency of Kyiv Polytechnic is now the center of development among universities for military subjects and you have very close cooperation with both Oboronprom and the National Security and Defense Council, and as such an outpost, you suffer from a huge under-financing”.