Department of Physics Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute was established as a part of the Kiev Polytechnic Institute together with its creation in 1898. Founder of the department was George de Metz.
The Department of Physics was created as part of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute simultaneously with its creation in 1889. The founder of the department was Georgy Georgyovich De-Metz.
In 1982, the department of general physics was divided into three departments: the department of general and experimental physics, the department of general and theoretical physics, and the department of general physics and solid state physics (the head of the department is professor M. V. Belous).
Since 1996, the Department of General Physics and Solid State Physics (ZFFTT) has been part of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics of KPI named after Igor Sikorsky and is the graduating department.
In 2022, the department was reorganized into the Department of General Physics and Modeling of Physical Processes (ZFMFP)