Address: building №1, room 158
telephone in case of query: (+38044) 204-82-62, 204-93-85,
Fax: (+38044) 204-82-62
Chairman of the Academic Council: Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor Mykhailo Yu. Ilchenko
Scientific secretary: Ph.D., associate professor Valeriya V. Kholyavko
The Academic Council of the National Technical University of Ukraine "Igor Sikorsky Kiev Polytechnic Institute" is a collegial governing body of the University and is formed for a term of five years. In its work, the Academic Council of the University is guided by the Law of Ukraine "On Higher Education", the Law of Ukraine "On Education", legal documents of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, the Charter of the University, the Regulations on the Academic Council, and other legal acts.
The competence of the Academic Council of the University includes:
- to define the strategy and perspective directions of development of educational, scientific and innovative activity of the University;
- to develop and submit to the higher collegiate body of public self-government a draft statute of the university, as well as a decision on amendments and additions thereto;
- to approve the financial plan and the annual financial report of the University;
- to define the system and to approve internal procedures for higher education quality assurance;
- to make a decision on the placement of own revenues in the territorial bodies of the central executive body in the budget funds treasury service or in banking institutions;
- to take a decision on the formation, reorganization and liquidation of structural subdivisions upon the submission of the rector of the University;
- to elect deans/directors, heads of departments, professors and associate professors, director of the library, heads of branches in competition by secret voting;
- to approve educational programs and curricula for each level of higher education and specialty;
- to make decisions on the organization of the educational process, determine the training terms at the appropriate levels;
- to approve the sample and procedure for the production of their own document on higher education, the provisions on the procedure and the grounds for its issuance to the graduates, as well as the samples, procedure and grounds for issuing graduates of joint and double diplomas;
- to adopt the main directions of scientific research and innovation activities;
- to assess the scientific and pedagogical activity of structural units;
- to assign the scientists the title of professor, assistant professor and senior researcher and submit relevant decisions for approval to the attestation board of the central executive authority in the field of education and science;
- to make final decisions on the recognition of foreign documents on higher education, scientific degrees and academic titles in the recruitment of teaching, scientific, pedagogical and other workers, as well as during enrollment of apprentices;
- to make a statement on the rector's recall on the grounds stipulated by the legislation, the Charter, the contract, which is considered by the University Staff Conference;
- to approve the Rules of admission to the University;
- to approve the Regulations on the organization of the educational process;
- to approve the Procedure for conducting competitive selection or election in competition at vacant positions of scientific and pedagogical workers occupation and conclusion of contracts with them;
- to decide on the appointment of personal scholarships;
- to make decisions on the University's own revenues received from fees for services provided in accordance with educational and scientific activities and charitable contributions and grants credited to special registration accounts opened in the territorial body of the central executive authority in the budget funds treasury service, or to current and/or deposit accounts of state-owned institutions;
- to determine the financial basis of student self-government: funds in the amount of not less than 0.5 per cent of own income received by the university from the main activity;
- to give consent to the placement of temporarily free funds on deposit accounts of state-owned institutions;
- to approve the composition of the Commissions of the Academic Council of the University, acting on a permanent or temporary basis;
- to consider other issues of the University's activities and to make decisions.
Ordinary sessions of the Academic Council of the University take place, as a rule, on a monthly basis on the first Monday of the month or on another day, determined by the Chairman of the Academic Council of the University. The meeting is held by the Chairman of the Academic Council of the University, and in his absence, the Deputy Chairman of the Academic Council of the University.
The control over the implementation of decisions of the Academic Council of the University relies, is, as a rule, on the rector, vice-rectors in accordance with their functional duties, the academic secretary. The Academic Council meetings are open and public.
The Academic Council of the University may delegate part of its powers to scientists of the councils of faculties, institutes and affiliates. The composition, powers and activities of the academic councils of the faculties, institutes and affiliates are determined by the Academic Council of the University in accordance with the University Statute and the Regulations on the Academic Council.
The composition of academic councils of faculties, institutes, affiliates is established for a term of five years and approved by the order of the rector. It is formed according to the quotas determined by the Academic Council of the University and is elected by open vote at the general meeting of the faculties, institutes and affiliates.