The Department of Ukrainian Language, Literature and Culture was founded on October 5, 1989 to ensure in-depth study of the Ukrainian language by students and university employees. It was the first department of Ukrainian studies in technical universities of Ukraine. In 1995, the department became part of the Faculty of Linguistics created at NTUU "KPI".
The Department of Ukrainian Language, Literature and Culture unites a highly qualified team of creative workers who teach basic and special educational disciplines of the philological profile and other program humanitarian disciplines of undergraduate training at all faculties of NTUU "KPI".
Since 1989, the department has been teaching full-time and part-time university students the following subjects: Ukrainian language, Ukrainian language for professional direction, business Ukrainian speech, Ukrainian language for beginners, Ukrainian language for teachers, modern Ukrainian language, history of Ukrainian culture, Ukrainian and foreign culture, foreign culture, Ukrainian and foreign culture of the 20th century, cultural studies, linguistic studies, introduction to linguistics, general linguistics, introduction to Ukrainian studies, history of modern Ukrainian literature, basics of editing, court speech culture.
The department includes 16 full-time teachers (including 1 doctor of science, 8 candidates of science).
The department has a methodological office with a library of scientific and educational and methodological literature.
The main directions of the department's work are as follows:
- highly qualified training of students of all faculties of the Ukrainian language university in a professional direction for better mastering of Ukrainian scientific and technical terminology;
- teaching the history of Ukrainian culture in the context of the European and world cultural space, which contributes to students' formation of their own position in life, understanding of professional formation and integration of their own activities into the modern cultural environment of Ukraine and the world;
- development of educational programs and educational and methodological materials;
- provision of advisory assistance to students, teachers and employees of the university, foreign citizens in mastering and improving the state language.
Teachers teach the following academic disciplines:
- Ukrainian language by professional direction - all faculties of NTUU "KPI";
- history of Ukrainian culture - FL, ZF, ISZZI, IPSA, FAX, FPM, FEA;
- court speech culture - FSP;
- cultural studies - FL;
- basics of translation editing - FL;
- introduction to linguistics - FL;
- general linguistics - FL;
- modern Ukrainian language - FL;
- Ukrainian language.
- The staff of the department successfully works in the following scientific areas:
- modern Ukrainian language for professional direction and speech culture for technical faculties;
- modern Ukrainian language and speech culture for translators;
- Ukrainians in the world;
- scientific and technical terminology;
- cultural terminology.
The Ukrainian Educational and Cultural Center of NTUU "KPI" of the Faculty of Linguistics (http://uc.kpi.ua) has been operating on the basis of the department since 2008, the main purpose of which is to provide educational and cultural and educational services - to promote in-depth study of the Ukrainian language and literature by students , teachers and employees of the university; organization of cultural and educational programs for students of NTUU "KPI" and foreign citizens; conducting Olympiads, student scientific and practical conferences, creative meetings, "round" tables, scientific seminars, development of international relations on issues of Ukrainian studies, etc. (Director of the Ukrainian Educational and Cultural Center of NTUU "KPI" - Associate Professor, Candidate of Philology, Onufrienko O.P.).
The staff of the department actively cooperates with teachers and employees of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and universities of Ukraine: the Institute of the Ukrainian Language of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, the Institute of Literature named after T.G. Shevchenko National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, National Pedagogical University named after M.P. Drahomanov, the National Aviation University, etc.
The department is also the initiator and organizer of the university seminar "Outstanding figures of Ukrainian studies" (once every two years) and annual inter-university, international scientific and scientific-practical student conferences - "Ukrainian culture: yesterday, today, always", "Oratory and the art of eloquence" ", "Shevchenko Readings", "Master of Literacy", "Natural and Artificial Languages in Social Interaction", All-Ukrainian and University Olympiads, competitions, etc.