Museology in KPI has a long history. Except of Zoological museum of agricultural department, Engineer museum opened on February 1. It was supervised by engineering group. The museum commission of Engineer museum of KPI was established in 1905 and it was headed by Eugene Oskarovych Paton. He was in charge of Engineer museum almost seven years - from 7 September , 1905 to 31 May , 1912. During this time, the museum was moved to a larger space, it was added with exhibits, particularly with samples of building materials, wooden bridges model units and so on. In 1910, at the request of E.O. Paton Engineer museum was transferred to the spacious hall of the Institute, where it was until August 1914. Unfortunately, there were only memories of that time. At first there was a fire in the hall, which destroyed some exhibits, and those exhibits that survived were lost during the years. Lately there were a lot of trials for KPI as well as for the whole country, so much time has passed before the issue of museum work became important in KPI. The History museum of KPI was founded on 29 December , 1963. At first it was a training laboratory of department of history of the KPRS, and on 10 March , 1980 the museum was granted independent status. From 1991 to 2001 the director of the museum was an enthusiast A. V. Kulchytska. On 27 February, 2002 according to the order of Rector,the History museum of KPI became a structural subdivision of the State Polytechnic museum opened at "KPI" on 11 September, 1998. The History museum was situated in the first building, but due to the redevelopment of areas and the necessity of compact localization of the whole museum complex, authorities decided to relocate it to newly renovated building.
Due to attention of the authorities of "KPI" especially Rector M.Z. Zgurovsky and Vice-Rector of Science M.U. Ilchenko, museums in the university continue to develop. The exhibition of small arms was opened in the State Polytechnic museum by the 60th anniversary of the Victory. Recently the famous tank of WWII - T-34 was established near the building of the museum. Renovations continue in the former foundry, thus the areas of exposure of the State Polytechnic museum will be greatly expanded. Rector decided to give the historic building - "design studio of aircrafts" to the museum. It was built in 1915, designed by Andriy Kasyanenko to compile the first Ukrainian aircrafts. But the repair of the building for history museum of KPI is almost completed. This is a great hall nearly 200 square meters in the sixth building where the State Polytechnic museum is situated. Today its employees think how to improve and expand the exhibition on the history of KPI making it truly worthy of our famous university. Of course, we will do everything that depends on us. But satisfactory result can be obtained only with the active assistance of everybody who care about our glorious history. Therefore, we appeal to university employees to help to identify items that would more fully and clearly illustrate it. There is a great necessity of documents, photographs, particularly of pre-revolutionary, pre-war and post-war time, but above all materials we need exhibits that highlight our history and are associated with significant events, outstanding scientists and their achievements, with famous graduates of the university. We believe that many departments have rare items that have already lost their material value but must be retained as scientific, cultural and historical attractions. They could fill not only the history of the museum of KPI, but also thematic expositions of State Polytechnic museum. Formally it is not difficult. You should only agree with us, and then, according to the head of the Department of Economics and Finance University L. G. Subbotin, it should be indicated that they are not subjected to destruction and are transfered to the State Polytechnic museum. Do it! The next generation will thank you for the preservation of historical memory, scientific and technical achievements of our predecessors.