Kyiv Polytechnic added another glorious fact to the annals of its history. Currently, the university ranks first among all higher education institutions in Ukraine in terms of the number of freshmen enrolled on the budget education. This is evidence of the high scientific and educational level of the university and the demand for specialists with a Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute diploma.
On September 9, a regular meeting of the Academic Council of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute took place. The first vice-rector of the university, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine Yurii Yakymenko, made a thorough report on the results of this year's 30th admission campaign. He tells the readers of Kyiv Polytechnic about its features and results.
- It is a pleasure to admit that our university is still a leader in the field of education. And among young people there is a demand for both humanities and engineering specialties. Where do entrants want to enter the most ?
- This year's competition at the university was 10 applications for one place, but it differs significantly by faculties. The maximum possible state order for five years has been growing all the time, and now is 4.5 thousand. Importantly, this maximum amount, as well as the funding formula, is formed according to the performance of the university.
Although the average competition for applications is the maximum compared to previous years, not all entrants recommended for enrolment submitted original documents to the Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute. This can not help but worry, because such places are disappearing.
- Really, an unpleasant situation. And how can this be prevented?
- I want to pay attention to specialities that are alarming and for which the percentage of recommendations is less than 50%: "Sociology" (FSP), "Journalism" (VPI), "Heat energy" (TEF, IEE), "Metallurgy" (IMZ). The situation is complicated. This does not mean that there were no applicants. For example, at "Sociology" only 4 people from those who scored enough points to enter this speciality, came to our university. The rest went to HEI. The reasons are different - the specifics of the speciality and the lack of prestige of our departments / faculties in a professional environment. The competition for "Sociology" and "Journalism" was quite high, but not enough people came to us with high scores.
There are other points that make you think: speciality "Telecommunications and Radio Engineering" at FEL and RTF - less than 65% entrants came to our university. At the same time, this specialty in ITS fully used the proposed volume. Here we are talking about the organization of career guidance and information work of units. In the specialty "Management" the recommended number for the specialty as a whole was reduced. "Chemical technologies" and "Applied physics" are powerful specialities, but the level is 65%. We also have a percentage of recommendations less than 80% in the specialties "Electronics", "Law", "Publishing and Printing", "Public Administration".
- What can you say about the current set of freshmen?
- There were different ratings, indicators, but according to the number of recommended for the budget and the number of credited to the budget Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute ranks first among all HEI of Ukraine - no one has recruited more than 4 thousand freshmen. In general, the increase in enrollment in budget and contract places took place in almost all faculties. The budget includes 4,085 people (last year - 3,971), the contract - 1,556 (last year - 1,204). That is, we have more than 5.5 thousand freshmen, which is 500 more than last year.
- An important indicator of the work of any university is the number of students at the second or third levels. How was the enrollment in the master's program?
- Indeed, the number of undergraduates is an assessment of the educational and scientific levels of our activities. A total of 7,268 applications were submitted to the master's program, of which 5,411 were from Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute graduates in 2021 and from graduates by 2021 - 242, from graduates of other institutions - 1615. 5070 people were admitted to the competition for a master's degree, including Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute graduates in 2021 - 4145, Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute graduates of previous years - 120, graduates of other universities - 805.
I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the competition for educational programs (EP) is a very important indicator when enrolling in a master's program. We analysed this year's set, and were concerned about the following situation: there are EPs at IAT, IEE, IMZ, IHF, MMI, RTF, TEF, FEA, FEL, for which there was no application from applicants from other HEI. Of course, "their" bachelors applied and enrolled. But to what extent is there a demand for such EPs on the market? According to the results of the competition, you can now begin to analyse these educational programs: whether they need to be enlarged, updated, or something else.
At admission to the master's program this year, the same number of applicants was observed as last year. But since last year we had 45% less budget places, we recruited more contractors. This year, thanks to our last year's results, we have increased the number of budget places, so there are fewer contractors per 100 people. At the same time, the number of bachelors enrolled in the contract has increased, so the total number of contractors has increased.
If we compare the enrolment of masters by faculties in 2020 and 2021, the absolute majority shows an increase. Contractors are available in almost all specialties. Only at FIOT and IMZ for the first time the total number of entrants decreased. Thus, 1916 Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute graduates of year 2021 are enrolled in the master's program (87%), 60 Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute graduates of previous years, 214 graduates of other HEI (10%). Of these, 1,734 people were enrolled in the budget (in 2020. - 1335), for the contract - 456 people (last year - 701).
- That is, the number of people willing to enter the master's program is increasing, and this is a positive result?
- The level of our scientific and educational authority is largely determined by the request for a master's degree. 10% of external applicants is not the figure we would like to see. Especially since they did not focus on all EP. There are educational programs that did not interest graduates of other universities.
- There is a lot of talk at the university about internal accreditation. Please clarify the situation.
- Internal accreditation continues at the university, it is obligatory and will continue, without it we simply won't be able to develop further. Quality control of education is a continuous process. I emphasize that the self-analysis of the activity and compliance of this activity with the conditions of accreditation is an indisputable requirement. Why is this important? It is known that the effectiveness of our work will be evaluated (it is already evaluated) automatically by monitoring information about our graduates on their distribution by specialities and employment. Our next government orders for each program and funding will depend on this, that is, by and large, the preservation of our scientific and educational potential.
- So what should be paid attention to?
- Without wasting time and without postponing for later, in each educational unit we have to estimate results of reception on each speciality, on each educational program: competitive situation, passing scores, level of entrants. If necessary, optimize the EP by number, content, and, if necessary, combine them. Because the next step in internal accreditation will be to provide these programs with everything required. We must have programs in demand in the market. And the best indicator will be when the EP has a scheme of dual education or at least targeted training for powerful partners. The absence of such partners in any of the EPs calls into question its effectiveness and feasibility.
Next will be the question of the most effective implementation of the EP. The structure of the educational unit depends on this. Last year we carried out a certain reorganization of departments, it proved to be positive: performance results were optimized. And let's not forget about the staff, which should ensure the implementation of these EP within the specified structure. I will repeat: The work is underway to optimize and analyse EPs and provide a structure that effectively implements these EPs and staff that meets current requirements. We plan to conduct self-analysis and approval of the results in September-October, in October-November we will analyse the materials and discuss them at the attestation commission of the university, and in November-December based on the results of internal accreditation the Academic Council will make decisions related to structure and staff.
As a result, our goal is: that all indicators that are entered into the database in the process of introspection are objective. Because when we have educational programs that do not interest employers, and the analysis of the database of graduates shows that they are not employed or not in demand, such a result will be completely unacceptable for us. So, ahead of events, we have to do all this work. I am no longer saying that internal self-accreditation is a necessary condition for our external accreditation. We already have 35 programs accredited by NAQA, and today we are the only HEI that does not have any refusal or conditional accreditation, and some EPs are recognized as exemplary. This was made possible by the fact that we conducted internal accreditation and redistributed programs.
- What does the university expect in the near future?
- It will be difficult this year. We have at least 40 programs that must be accredited, including 25 PhDs. However, based on funding conditions, this number may need to be increased to 60. Changes in the accreditation schedule and postponement are not possible. That is why the work on internal accreditation continues in preparation for the external one, the work is going on continuously, and it is very important.
Our strategic task is to form such an educational structure that would provide a high level of training and demand for specialists. A more down-to-earth component of this program is the successful conduct of external accreditation for all programs.
- As wise man said: together - we will win. Good luck to us on this path.
Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute Grants the Largest Number of State-Funded Places
On August 9, 2021, Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute enrolled bachelors, junior bachelors, and masters of pharmaceutical, veterinary and medical specialties in state-funded training.
Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute has become the leader among Ukrainian universities that provide state-funded places.
According to the State Enterprise INFORESURS, 3, 911 state-funded students are training at Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute.