An institutional repository is one of the main tools for disseminating research findings in open access. For Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Politechnic Institute researchers such repository is the Electronic archive of scientific and educational materials of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Politechnic Institute - ELAKPI (https://ela.kpi.ua).
ELAKPI collects, stores, distributes and provides long-term, permanent and reliable Internet access to scientific and educational materials of teaching staff, staff, students, graduate students and PhD students of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Politechnic Institute.
ELAKPI for the researcher is:
- freedom - free access to educational and scientific works in 24/7 mode;
- safety - long-term and reliable storage of materials;
- accessibility - qualitative metadata, search engine indexing (including Google Scholar);
- - integration - support for the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH), indexation in the WorldCat Global World Directory, open access registry repositories, Open Directory Repositories (ROAR), directory repositories of Open Access Repositories (DOAR), a Harvester of Open Ukrainian Electronic Archives Simple Search Metadata in open Ukraine archives (SSM);
- - stability - constant unique URL;
- support - materials for the educational process and research;
- integrity - is a legal channel of access to educational and scientific information, since many scientific journals allow preprint placement;
- - citation - increase in citation due to the extension of the user audience;
- reputation - support for Open Access initiatives contributes to enhancing the scientific image.
ELAKPI is based on Dspace 6.1 open source software developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Hewlett-Packard. The repository can search for documents by author, title and keywords, and the system supports full-text search.
Electronic archive funds are grouped by:
- types of materials - scientific periodicals, annotated descriptions of reports on research and development, reports on research and development, abstracts of dissertations, dissertations, bachelor's works (projects), master's works, materials of conferences, seminars, etc .;
- - scientific units - of institutes / faculties. Foundations representing institutes / faculties are subdivided into sub-funds (by departments), which in turn are subdivided into collections by type of material.
- Who can publish materials in ELAKPI
The depositors of the electronic archive can be teachers, doctoral students, graduate students and students of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Politechnic Institute, librarians and other employees of the University, as well as persons associated with Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Politechnic Institute (Honored Professors or Persons with Honorary Positions at the University).
In what formats the materials in ELAKPI are published?
The online archive supports all file formats. But there is a list of recommended formats to use:
- texts - Adobe Reader (.pdf) or Microsoft Word (.doc);
- presentations - Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt);
- spreadsheets - Microsoft Excel (.xls);
- image - JPEG (.jpeg) or GIF (.gif)
- audio - WAV or FROM;
- video - MREG.
ELAKPI does not contain scanned paper documents without a text layer (as an image) and archived files since they are not indexed by search engines and are not available for full-text search.
Ways of publishing materials on ELAKPI
1. Independent placement by the author or the person responsible for placing the materials in ELAKPI by a person appointed by the head of the department.
2. Placement of materials by e-archive coordinators on the instructions of the author.
Self-publishing of materials in ELAKPI (self-archiving)
- Step 1. Sign in ELAKPI;
- Step 2. Email for getting the Depositary's Rights to: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Step 3. Upload the material to ELAKPI.
After uploading the materials by the depositary, they come to the "buffer zone" of the repository. After checking the materials with the ELAKPI Coordinator, they either appear freely available or are rejected. The depositary is obliged to receive a notice on the placement of material with the URL assigned to it in ELAKPI, and in case of rejection of the material, a message stating the reason for refusal and there are recommendations for revision.
Placement of materials in ELAKPI on behalf of the author
Step 1. Consult with the ELAKPI Coordinator and sign the Accession Agreement for the transfer of the non-exclusive right to use the work. Please see the text of the Agreement at the link https://ela.kpi.ua/handle/123456789/26405;
Step 2. Submit an electronic copy of the material to the Education and Research Information Support Center, Hall 4.4 or e-mail: email@example.com.
More about the location of materials in Elakpi you can find in the instructions "Registering a user and placement materials in Elakpi" - https://ela.kpi.ua/handle/123456789/20655.
- Beginning of the project of the electronic archive of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Politechnic Institute - Elakpi - Dated by January 2010. On January 13, the first material was used - the methodical manual "work, assembly-welding machines, installations and lines for welding". Authors: RM Ryzhov, E.P.Chvertko, P. Y.Sydorenko.
- On February 23, 2010, the first depositor, Anton Kleshchov (IEE, Chair of Electromechanical Equipment of Power-intensive Manufacturing), added his material through self-archiving, which posted the guidelines "Virtual Devices of Engineering Research".
- Among the faculties, the leader in placement at ELAKPI is the Faculty of Chemical Engineering, which has 816 materials. And among the departments the leading position is held by the Department of Management (FMM) with 330 materials.
- The leader among the authors who have placed the materials in ELAKPI with 71 materials.
- Since the beginning of 2019, as of October, 2 150 000 users have visited ELAKPI, the number of sessions is 2 175 000. 3 547 353 files have been downloaded by users.
The Center for Educational and Research Support Information (Room 4.4) of the Library provides ongoing training for researchers to place materials in ELAKPI on a permanent basis. For any questions regarding the e-archive, please call: 204-96-72, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.