1. GENERAL REGULATIONS
1.1. Regulations on the right to free choice of disciplines by applicants for higher education at the Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (hereinafter – the Regulations) regulates the procedure for providing students with higher education the right to free choice of disciplines in Igor Sikorsky KPI (hereinafter – the University) in accordance with the Law of Ukraine "On Higher Education" and the Regulations on the organization of the educational process at the University.
1.2. The regulation formalizes the following procedures:
- formation of catalogs of elective disciplines (hereinafter – the Catalog) and bringing them to applicants for higher education (hereinafter – the applicant);
- selection by applicants of academic disciplines from the Catalog;
- organization of study by applicants of selected disciplines.
1.3. The amount of elective subjects is not less than 25% of the total amount of the relevant educational program for which the applicant is studying at the appropriate level of higher education (hereinafter – HE).
1.4. The content of a particular elective discipline is determined by its syllabus – the working program of the discipline.
1.5. Elective courses provide the applicant with the opportunity to:
- to build individual learning path;
- to get acquainted with the current level of scientific research in the relevant field of knowledge;
- to enhance professional training within the chosen specialty and educational program;
- to obtain additional learning outcomes within the formation of general and / or professional competencies;
1.6. The applicant chooses disciplines in accordance with the curriculum under which he studies, which determines the number and scope of disciplines of free choice of the applicant for a particular semester. In this case, the applicant has the right to choose the disciplines offered for other educational programs, in agreement with the head of the relevant graduate department.
1.7. The individual learning pathway of the applicant of HE can be implemented also by choosing of the certain certificate program, if they are introduced into the relevant specialty, according to the Regulations on the certificate programs of Igor Sikorsky KPI.
1.8. The curriculum of each educational program indicates amount and term of study of elective disciplines, as well as the Catalogs from which the disciplines are selected: University-wide Catalog (UW-Catalog) and / or inter-faculty, faculty, departmental Catalog (F-Catalog).
1.9. Each Catalog is a structured annotated list of disciplines that belong to the selective component of the educational program for a certain level of HE.
1.10. The formation of the Catalog should comply with the principles of alternative, competitive and student-centered (disciplines can be considered elective only if they are such from the point of view of the higher education applicant).
1.11. The content of optional subjects should consider requirements for relevance, knowledge-intensive, practical orientation and level of higher education.
1.12. The results of the choice of disciplines by the applicant are indicated in his individual curriculum for the next academic year in the section "Selected disciplines" in accordance with the Regulations on the individual curriculum of applicants for higher education at Igor Sikorsky KPI.
1.13. Disciplines that are included in the individual curriculum of the applicant are mandatory for the study.
1.14. In addition to the choice of academic disciplines within the selective component of the relevant curriculum, the applicant of HE can form their individual educational path within the normative component by:
- choosing the type of activity – choosing in the discipline "Physical education of the department by sport or theoretical course;
- choosing language (English, German, French) and level of study - in the discipline "Foreign language";
- choosing place for internship;
- choosing the topic of coursework and academic advisor.
2. ORGANIZATIONAL AND METHODOLOGICAL ENSURING OF THE CHOICE OF EDUCATIONAL DISCIPLINES
General approaches to the formation of the selective component of the curriculum
2.1. The disciplines of the UW – Catalog are aimed at deepening and improving the general competencies of higher education standards.
2.2. The scope and semester control of elective academic disciplines of the UW-Catalog is unified and, as a rule, is 2 ECTS credits with the form of semester control – credit.
2.3. The academic disciplines of F-Catalogs are aimed at deepening and improving the special (professional) competencies defined by the educational program.
2.4. The amount of academic disciplines of F-Catalogs is recommended to do at least 4 ECTS credits and with a unified volume and semester control (at least within one semester).
2.5. The scope and types of classes, the form of semester control of elective courses is determined by the relevant curriculum.
2.6. It is allowed to form a list of elective disciplines in the form of an ordered sequence of their study in accordance with the curriculum, if, for example, there are certain prerequisites of the discipline (requirements for the study of the discipline).
2.7. Each semester, starting from the third semester of bachelor's training and the second semester of master's or doctoral training, the applicant of the appropriate level of HE must study at least one chosen discipline.
Formation of UW-Catalog
2.8. The catalog provides a brief description of each discipline (abstract), specifies the prerequisites (requirements for the study of the discipline) and postrequisites (learning outcomes) of the discipline, the amount of ECTS credits, the department that provides teaching and other. The form of the description of the academic discipline of the UW-Catalog is presented in Appendix A to the Regulations.
2.9. Only academic disciplines that have the full information and methodological ensuring necessary for its mastering, in accordance with the requirements of the University, can be included in the UW-Catalog.
2.10. The content and implementation of the elective discipline in the educational process is the responsibility of the head of the department, who responsible for the teaching of the discipline.
2.11. UW-Catalog is formed by the educational and methodical department of the University according to the following procedure:
1) at the beginning of the current academic year (until September 30), departments that offer disciplines for general university choice, provide the educational and methodological department with an annotated list of relevant disciplines;
2) by October 31, the educational and methodical department carries out the examination of the provided materials and forms of the UW-Catalog of elective academic disciplines for its approval;
3) by the end of the autumn semester approved by the Academic Council of the University UW-Catalog of elective courses is posted on the University website for general reference https://osvita.kpi.ua.
2.12. The list and annotations of academic disciplines of the UW-Catalog are entered by the Design Bureau of Information Systems into the Electronic Campus system for selection by applicants taking into account the year of study and individuality / specifics of the specialty (if available).
Formation of F-Catalog
2.13. The procedure of formation of F-Catalogs should be reflected in the regulations of the faculty / institute on the choice of academic disciplines, which is approved by the Academic Council of the faculty / institute in coordination with the educational and methodical department of the University.
2.14. The main criteria for the formation of F-Catalogs of elective courses are:
- demand for stakeholders (relevance of the discipline from the standpoint of development of the relevant sector of the economy, the direction of research, demand for relevant competencies in the labor market, etc.);
- staffing (scientific degree, academic title, advanced training, experience of teaching the discipline, feedback from applicants on the quality of teaching);
- educational and methodical ensuring (syllabus, textbook, training manuals, methodical recommendations, etc.).
- information and didactic ensuring (presentations, video materials, demonstration materials, samples, etc.);
- logistics (availability of equipment / software for laboratory work, computer workshops).
2.15. The following sequence of actions for the formation of F-Catalogs is recommended:
1) by October 1 of the current academic year, working groups are created at the faculties / institutes under the leadership of the heads of methodical commissions to develop and / or update the list of academic disciplines of F-Catalogs;
2) work teams analyze the methodological, informational and logistical ensuring of the elective disciplines proposed by the departments regarding the possibility of organizing a high quality educational process .;
3) the number and variety of proposed disciplines in the F-Catalog should be large enough and do not duplicate each other;
4) the list of academic disciplines of the faculty F-Catalog is formed within the limits of the relevant specialty (uniform for all departments of one faculty / institute where applicants of the relevant specialty study);
5) the list of academic disciplines of the interfaculty F-Catalog is formed within the relevant field of knowledge, or as interdisciplinary;
6) F-Catalogs formed by work teams, after the recommendation of the relevant Academic Councils of faculties / institutes, are submitted for consideration to the Methodical Council of the University in November;
7) on the recommendation of the Methodical Council of the University F-Catalogs are approved by the Provost.
8) mandated F-Catalogs are posted in December-January on the official websites of the relevant faculties / institutes and departments for review by applicants.
PROCEDURE FOR CHOOSING EDUCATIONAL DISCIPLINES
2.16. The procedure of selection of disciplines by applicants is preceded by their acquaintance with the procedure, terms, features of registration for study of the proposed disciplines and the conditions of formation of study groups for the study of elective disciplines UW-Catalog and / or F-Catalogs.
2.17. Before the applicants begin the process of selection for academic disciplines:
- scientific and pedagogical staff of the department, providing teaching disciplines UW-Catalog, at the request of the curators of academic groups, can demonstrate (in extracurricular time) presentations of the proposed disciplines for applicants..
- scientific and pedagogical staff of the department, providing teaching disciplines of F-Catalogs, together with the curators of academic groups, can demostrate (in extracurricular time) presentations of the proposed disciplines. Also, if necessary, consultation can be perfomed on the formation of an individual learning path, account registration, etc.
Applicants for a bachelor's degree
2.18. The choice of disciplines from the UW-Catalog and F-Catalog by students of the first (bachelor's) level of HE is carried out at the beginning of the spring semester (selected disciplines will be studied in the next academic year). Summarized results are used to form the curricula of relevant training years.
2.19. The process of selecting academic disciplines from the UW-Catalog by students of the first (bachelor's) level of HE includes the following steps:
1) Students make a choice of disciplines in the system "Electronic Campus" for study in the next academic year. The duration of the stage is at least two weeks. The stage is controlled by the curators of the groups in order to ensure the participation of all applicants in the selection process.
2) Processing of the results of the choice of disciplines and the formation of study groups for their study. The stage is performed by the educational department and the administrator of the Electronic Campus system, based on the established minimum number of students in the group.
3) Notification of each student about the confirmation of his choice at the first stage of choosing the disciplines of the UW-Catalog or about the impossibility of forming a group to study the chosen discipline.
2.20. If it is impossible to form a study group to learn a particular discipline, students have the opportunity to re-choose – by joining the already formed study groups, or acquire the chosen discipline individually using a mixed form of study and individual consultations, (the opportunity is provided upon a substantiated application of the student and the decision of the department, which provides teaching of this discipline)
2.21. The procedure for selecting academic disciplines from F-catalogs by students of the first (bachelor's) level of HE is implemented in accordance with the approved regulations of the faculty / institute on the choice of academic disciplines, students will be noticed at the beginning of the academic year.
Applicants for a master's degree
2.22. The choice of disciplines from the F-Catalogs by students of the second (master's) level of HE is carried out at the beginning of the autumn semester of the first year of study. Selected subjects will be studied in the spring semester of the same year and / or in the autumn semester of the following year. The generalized results are used for formation of working curricula of the corresponding years of preparation.
2.23. The procedure for selecting academic disciplines from F-catalogs by students of the second (master's) level of VO is implemented in accordance with the approved regulations of the faculty / institute on the choice of academic disciplines, which are communicated to students at the beginning of the academic year.
Applicants for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy
2.24. The selection of disciplines from F-Catalogs by graduate students is made at the beginning of the autumn semester (selected disciplines will be studied in the spring semester of the same year) and at the beginning of the spring semester of the first year (selected disciplines will be studied in the next academic year).
2.25. The procedure for choosing subjects by graduate students from F-catalogs is implemented in accordance with the approved regulations of the faculty / institute on the choice of academic disciplines, which is brought to the notice of graduate students at the beginning of the academic year.
3. PROCESSING OF RESULTS OF SELECTION OF DISCIPLINES AND FORMATION OF STUDY GROUPS
3.1. The final information on the disciplines of the UW-Catalog selected by the applicants, the number of groups, their personnel, etc., is transmitted by the educational department of the University:
- to graduate departments for the formation of individual curricula of applicants;
- to the departments, which are assigned to teach selected disciplines, for the formation of the pedagogical workload of the relevant research and teaching staff.
3.2. The final information on the selected F-Catalogs disciplines is provided by the responsible person of the faculty / institute:
- to graduate departments for the formation of individual curricula of applicants;
- to the departments, which are assigned to teach selected disciplines, for the formation of the pedagogical workload of the relevant research and teaching staff;
- to the deans' offices of faculties / institutes for forming the schedule of classes.
3.3. Study groups for the study of elective subjects must be at least:
- 20 people for the first (bachelor's) level of HE;
- 10 people for the second (master's) level of HE;
- 5 people for the third (educational and scientific) level of HE.
3.4. The restrictions provided for in paragraph 4.2 of this Regulation do not apply to cases where a particular discipline of the departmental F-Catalog is chosen by all applicants who study in the relevant educational program or violation of the restriction does not lead to exceeding the maximum teaching load of research and teaching staff..
3.5. An applicant of HE, who has neglected his / her right of choice may be enrolled in the study of academic disciplines selected by the head of the graduate department to optimize study groups and flows..
3.6. If the applicant of HE for a valid reason could not choose the discipline in time, or found a mistake in his expression of will, he request the dean's office with statement for enrollment for study of his chosen disciplines, providing documents certifying the validity of the reasons.
3.7. It is not allowed to change the chosen disciplines after the beginning of the academic semester in which they are taught.
3.8. Class schedules for the study of selected academic disciplines of the UW-Catalog are formed by the educational department of the University, and for the study of selected academic disciplines of the F-Catalogs - by the deans of faculties / institutes.
4. FINAL REGULATIONS
4.1. Applications of applicants, e-mails generated in the Electronic Campus system with the results of free choice, administrative documents on the formation of study groups are stored throughout the study period of the applicant at the appropriate level of HE.
4.2. In case of renewal, transfer of the applicant, admission to classes after the end of subbatical or in case of part-time study, with written application of the applicant and consent of the graduating department it is possible to recalculate the results of elective courses in accordance with the Regulations on recognition in Igor Sikorsky KPI results of previous study or Regulations on recognition in Igor Sikorsky KPI learning outcomes acquired in non-formal / informal education.